"This is undoubtedly the greatest American battle of the war and will, I believe, be regarded as an ever-famous American victory." — Winston Churchill, on the Battle of the Bulge.
75 years ago today, a huge force of Hitler's troops launched Operation Wacht am Rhein (“Watch on the Rhine”) — a surprise offensive deep in the Ardennes forest aimed at dealing a decisive blow to the Allies and forcing them to negotiate a peace treaty with Nazi Germany.
The response of the U.S. Army to this sudden threat? To borrow BG McAuliffe's words when asked by the German commander to surrender the 101st, besieged at Bastogne: "Nuts!"
We may have been caught off guard, but the G.I.'s of the U.S. Army held on that freezing Christmas, and their heroic actions and gritty courage defined what became known as The Battle of the Bulge, after the bulge in the Allied lines caused by the Nazi offensive.
The Battle of the Bulge was the largest and bloodiest single battle fought by American forces in World War II, and is still, to this day, the largest battle ever fought by the U.S. Army. Our own great great uncle Roy, an enlisted soldier who landed at Normandy, was there for the battle — see the page from his journal we included here. My brothers and I carry on his legacy in the Army today, and we're proud to launch this design commemorating the 75th anniversary of the battle and celebrating the grit of the hard, courageous men who fought it.
- Custom original CIVVIESUPPLY design — accept no substitutes!
- Features the original CIVVIESUPPLY logo on the back neck
- Made with incredibly soft, premium thread blend
- Locally printed in South Carolina with a hand-applied silkscreen print, crafted the old-fashioned way, in small batches
- Made with top-shelf inks that will last through hundreds of washings
- Fits true to size with a slightly tailored fit, great for gym and casual wear
- Available in Heathered Forest Green to commemorate the Ardennes Forest where the battle began